WHICH POWER STEERING FLUID TO USE?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

62roadster

WHICH POWER STEERING FLUID TO USE?

Post by 62roadster »

My 1962 Thunderbird service manual says to use Ford “A” power steering fluid, for some reason I always though it should be the “F” trans fluid to use for the power steering. In any event, which is correct and is there a modern day replacement for these fluids?
tbird

Re: WHICH POWER STEERING FLUID TO USE?

Post by tbird »

Back in the day the manuals listed Type A Transmission fluid it is now known as Type F. Type F is what you should be using in your Thunderbirds power steering and convertible top pumps, it was also the correct fluid for the Ford transmissions back in the day. You can use other transmission fluids if your transmission has been rebuilt, but the transmission will not have the very detectable positive shifts that where originally present.

My transmissions have all been rebuilt but I still use Type F in all of them.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
62roadster

Post by 62roadster »

Thank you for your advice. I want to clean out my P.S. system and add new fluid, I am considering using a system flush made by Lubegard, wondering if it is ok to use this product, the link is below, they also made a flush and protect combo pack (second link) which is probably the one I would buy,,,thanks

https://www.lubegard.com/wp-content/upl ... Flush4.pdf

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lubegard-98404 ... 2749.l2649
tbird

Post by tbird »

Have no idea about Lubegard, all I have ever done is drain the steering system and refill with Type F steering fluid.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars