Horn still not working

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

jstrull66

Horn still not working

Post by jstrull66 »

Is there a picture on here or does anyone have a picture they can show me the correct Wiring of the Black and Yellow wires on the steering hub pertaining to the Horn relays, when I opened it up the yellow and black wire were tied together and screwed to the bottom screw of the three screws, not sure if this is correct.

Standard Steering wheel
1966 Thunderbird Landau

Thank you, John
redstangbob

Re: Horn still not working

Post by redstangbob »

John if you do a little looking around the forum you will find an excellent list of books you need to have when working on your car, and instructions on how to post pictures here. I've told you in a reply to your original horn post your car does not use a relay, and gave you my thoughts on troubleshooting the circuit. I have to assume you have no service literature for your car? If so, you are sailing against the wind. good luck, Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
jstrull66

Post by jstrull66 »

redstangbob wrote:John if you do a little looking around the forum you will find an excellent list of books you need to have when working on your car, and instructions on how to post pictures here. I've told you in a reply to your original horn post your car does not use a relay, and gave you my thoughts on troubleshooting the circuit. I have to assume you have no service literature for your car? If so, you are sailing against the wind. good luck, Bob C
Thanks Bob, I have the shop manual and the wiring diagram, and neither one has info for the horn repair, but only instructions for replacing the horn, so I will continue to look around the forum for information. on the horn Assy there are two spring loaded relay that are activated when one pushes the horn buttons on the left or right side of the assy.
tbird

Post by tbird »

Don't think that those are relays if you are talking about inside the horn ring on the steering wheel, they are the horn contacts to complete the circuit to blow the horn.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
Tbirdgul

Post by Tbirdgul »

John, this may be unrelated, but my horn wouldn't work no matter what I did until I found that there was supposed to be a spring loaded wiping contact in the steering wheel. If the wiring connection doesn't turn out to be the issue, you might pull the steering wheel to check.

Good luck, Tony
Tony Gul - Southern California
VTCI# 13062
1964 Thunderbird hardtop black with white roof - current
1964 Thunderbird hardtop copper - 1986
jstrull66

Post by jstrull66 »

Tbirdgul wrote:John, this may be unrelated, but my horn wouldn't work no matter what I did until I found that there was supposed to be a spring loaded wiping contact in the steering wheel. If the wiring connection doesn't turn out to be the issue, you might pull the steering wheel to check.

Good luck, Tony

Tony,
Thanks, my car is a 1966 T and I have two spring loaded pins that stay in contact with the two Concentric rings on the back of the steering wheel , one being 12 volts and the other being ground, pushing on the horn buttons closes the circuit causing the horns to sound, but I don't see any where the ground ring on steering wheel is grounded, I think some thing is missing but not sure. again thanks
John
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

On a 64. If you look at the steering box there should be a wire that runs to the bodywork from the steering box. That is your ground. There should also be a wire that jumps across your rag joint from front to back. I assume there is something similar on a 66.
jstrull66

Post by jstrull66 »

jstrull66 wrote:
Tbirdgul wrote:John, this may be unrelated, but my horn wouldn't work no matter what I did until I found that there was supposed to be a spring loaded wiping contact in the steering wheel. If the wiring connection doesn't turn out to be the issue, you might pull the steering wheel to check.

Good luck, Tony

Tony,
Thanks, my car is a 1966 T and I have two spring loaded pins that stay in contact with the two Concentric rings on the back of the steering wheel , one being 12 volts and the other being ground, pushing on the horn buttons closes the circuit causing the horns to sound, but I don't see any where the ground ring on steering wheel is grounded, I think some thing is missing but not sure. again thanks
John
Tony, I got the horns to work, but you have to push both buttons on the steering wheel, a ground problem, the fix continues. I don't have the spring loaded wiping contact, does this part wipe the ground ring back of the steering wheel????? Thank you John
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

does this part wipe the ground ring back of the steering wheel?????
The circuit has been explained, no relays, no ground brush. The longer you look for a ground problem, the longer your horn won't work. It's clearly laid out in the 66 wiring diagram. good luck, Bob C

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
Silent Thunder

Post by Silent Thunder »

A ground or lack of is the easiest electrical problem to fix on a car. If you touch with metal the two contacts on the steering column and the horn sounds, then it is working. If it is not take a wire with one end grounded, touch the two contacts one at a time. If the horn honks then it is a bad ground and you just need to bring a ground to the contact that did not blow the horns. If all tests fine and the horns blow as they should then your problem is in the wheel or horn switch on the wheel. You should have one wire coming from the left and one from the right on the horn switch(the chrome piece that mounts on the wheel). They should meet in the middle and be secured by one center screw. One contact from your steering wheel rides on the outer ring and the other on the inner ring. A fairly simple set up.
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

If it is not take a wire with one end grounded, touch the two contacts one at a time.
Thats a good way to pop the breaker in a 65-66 car. SMH :???:

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
Silent Thunder

Post by Silent Thunder »

I am sorry I wrote that wrong. Instead of to ground to a hot power source. My mistake, up to late!
scumdog

Post by scumdog »

tbird wrote:Don't think that those are relays if you are talking about inside the horn ring on the steering wheel, they are the horn contacts to complete the circuit to blow the horn.
I used that circuit to active a relay I fitted.
That in turn sends a good shot of full 12V to the horns and they work great.
Kiwi Thunderbirder
'66 Town Landau
'55 F100
'37 Ford coupe
'64 Anglia
'05 Ultraglide Classic